Lakehead Thunderwolves Mens Hockey
Facebook YouTube Twitter Instagram


Mike Aylward
Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The No. 3 Lakehead Thunderwolves fell 4-2 to the Brock Badgers in Game 1 of their best-of-three OUA Semi Final playoff series Wednesday night at the Seymour-Hannah Centre in St. Catharines, Ont.  Brock goaltender Matt Harpwood had a huge night for the Badgers; turning aside 43 Lakehead shots as the Wolves outshot the Badgers 45-23.   

Game Two is set for the Fort William Gardens in Thunder Bay Friday night at 7:30 pm EST; with Game Three, if necessary, going at the Gardens on Saturday night at 7:30 pm EST.  The games in Thunder Bay will be videowebcast live with ordering information available at  Viewers will need hi speed internet and Windows Media Player to watch the broadcasts.  Alan Wickware will call the action live with Lakehead Sports Information Director Mike Aylward handling the pre-game and colour.  The games will also be broadcast live on CKPR 91.5 FM Radio ( online) with Bryan Wyatt calling the action live and Jonas Gilbart handling the pre-game and intermission duties.   

Lakehead now has a 2-2 OUA playoff record; (25-6-1 OUA overall).  Brock goes to 3-1 in the OUA playoffs (20-9-3 OUA overall)

Lakehead’s scoring came from Mike Wehstedt and Kris Hogg while Brock got its goals from Ryan Del Monte, Jonathan Labelle, Ryan Allen, and JJ Allen.  Goaltender Harpwood added an assist for the Badgers. 

Brock was 2-7 with the man advantage while Lakehead went 2-8. 

Lakehead got in early penalty trouble and killed off two successfully but the Badgers got on the board right after at 10:12; when Ryan Del Monte beat Wolves netminder Chris Whitley; assisted by Ryan Allen.  Lakehead then had a huge opportunity; getting a two-man advantage and Mike Wehrstedt quickly tied it at 10:52; firing a rocket past Badgers goalie Matt Harpwood.  The assist went to Andrew Brown.  Lakehead’s Whitley came up with a big stop with 15 seconds left in the period.  Shots were 9-8 Brock in the first.

Play was even in the early going of the second with Brock’s Harpwood making some very good saves during the first six minutes.  Lakehead then went on the powerplay and Harpwood made a series of great saves to deny the Wolves.  Then Lakehead took a minor of their own and the Badgers made it count at 8:46 when Jonathan Labelle scored; assisted by JJ Martin and goaltender Harpwood.  The Wolves then went on the attack and Harpwood came up with a big save off Lakehead’s Brock McPherson.  Lakehed then went on the powerplay but then negated it with one of their own; giving the Badgers a powerplay of their own.  Brock again made it count at 15:28 when Ryan Allen deflected the puck past Whitley; assisted by Del Monte and Paul Holder.  Brock took a late penalty so Lakehead would start the third on the powerplay.  Shots on goal were 18-8 Lakehead in the second.   

The Wolves came out hard on the powerplay to start the third and buzzed the Brock goal and were rewarded at 1:29; when Kris Hogg fired it in.  The assist went to Whelan.  Lakehead kept up the pressure with Shandor Alphonso firing wide and then Harpwood making a save off the Wolves Jordan C. Smith.  Brock then put on some pressure of their own and JJ Martin came close; firing the puck wide past sprawled Lakehead netminder Whitley.

Lakehead took a penalty but killed it off.  The Wolves Tobias Whelan was then denied by Brock’s Harpwood.  The Wolves then took another minor and Brock pressed but didn’t get a really good scoring chance.  Lakehead went on the powerplay with just over five minutes left but couldn’t score.  Brock then put on pressure and Ryan Stephenson was denied by Lakehead’s Whitley.  The Wolves then put on pressure but again couldn’t beat Harpwood.  Brock took a penalty with 1:26 left; giving the Wolves a glorious chance to tie the game.  Lakehead pulled Whitley and

Print Article    Back to Top